Monday, August 5, 2019

Keeping Busy

I apologize for being a day late. I tend to lose track of the days with both Zoe and I working non Monday to Friday jobs. We have no real weekend and I therefore often forget what day it is until my mom texts me asking "What happened to this weeks blog?"

Zoe has been so busy with her work and friends that we have had very little time together. We are both thrilled however that she loves her job and is settling in with some great friends. She has really proven herself at work and was made supervisor this past week! I am a happy mommy to know that, after all her struggles, she is at a place where she is happy and appreciated!

My work schedule has been primarily early morning shifts which leaves me from lunch time on to accomplish things at home.

I have build a wood storage area in the garage (if you recall the struggles I had with wood last winter...moving it from garage to basement to one living room rack to the final burnable living room rack!!) I am trying to make it simpler this winter.

I do not know much about septic systems this being the first I have ever used, but the opening is inside a cut barrel in the lawn? This has no lid, but is never full of water. I feel this must mean that all the rain water goes into the tank and would therefore be filling up faster than if it was just filling with house water. True or not? I don't know? But I still built a lid to cover it and have a flower pot on it so it is no longer an ugly green eyesore in the middle of the front yard! Soon there will even be pretty flowers and trailing vines coming from it.


I am back to cleaning up scrub and roses. There is an area at the front of the house that has always been unmowable due to rocks and bramble and roses. So I have begun tackling it hoping I can get it clear enough to rototill, seed and have lawn next year.

I have also finished predator and weather proofing a second chicken coop. It is different from the "hospital coop" which I cannot ever see putting more chickens in. Now when the opportunity arises, Zoe and I will be able to add healthy chickens or chicks (still haven't decided yet) in a safe manner to our family.

Finally, I am very pleased with our garden. It is August - ugh- and we finally were able to have our first salad last night!?! The lettuce, strawberries, raspberries, red onion and sweet peas made for a delicious first taste of our homegrown Nova Scotian self reliance.  We no longer have to buy eggs, and now this salad...(Yes I am aware one salad and eggs does not make us self reliant, but everyone has to start somewhere!)



No comments:

Post a Comment