Monday, April 26, 2021

The Pig Pen

Ellie and Winnie finally have their outdoor home!

I realize that if I am unsure about something, I procrastinate badly. That was the case with this outdoor pig pen and the electric fencing. I have never worked with electric fencing and was really insecure about it. So something that should have taken two weeks took two months. Finally last week, Zoe and Navy stepped in and forced me to figure it out! While I asked questions and got comfortable they started clearing the land.
After that things moved very quickly. We got the shelter built, the posts in, the wire run, the charger connected, the gate mounted and voila!

The last step was to test the fence. I bought a very inexpensive tester and we struggled to see it light up. We were very nervous that the fence was not working. Then our darling cat Phoenix decided it would be fun to jump through the wires. Who needs a tester when you have a cat yowling and jumping 5 feet in the air! Electric fence works!

The final step was to move the pigs in. We had such high hopes for this. We figured it would be no problem to lead them from the barn to the pen with food as the incentive. Ya...no. They are apparently a lot smarter than that!


It was time to prove how strong I am. After hearing them scream like we were murdering them (it shows how far away our neighbours are that they didn’t send the police!) I first hugged and then picked up Ellie and carried her to the pen. Then I went back for Winnie and carried him over (with some help because he is a solid young man!) Then we sat and watched them wonder why they were so afraid of coming to this fantastic paradise that their loving humans built for them❤️



No comments:

Post a Comment