Sunday, September 2, 2018

First Week

It has been one week since we left home. We have driven over 4000 kilometres, seen beautiful countryside, ocean inlets, rivers, and are starting to get a sense of what we like. Its very difficult to pin point any reason why we like one area better than another because everything is beautiful, but it’s just a sense of belonging, of calm, of peace, of being “right”. 

We are trying to make some progress on our house hunting but we are having some difficulty getting realtors to work with us. A number of people that we contacted did not return our calls, were very negative about the homes with were interested in or lacked interest in helping because we could not guarantee we would be purchasing from them. We have had three excellent agents. Peter Swan at Royal LePage Cumberland Realty, Morgan Lunn at Exit Realty Inter Lake. Our third realtor is Val Barr also with Exit Realty but in Digby. We also took breaks from house hunting to be tourists and enjoy some sights and tastes along the way.

We had heard so much about the abundance of seafood in Nova Scotia. How it was such a luxury to have lobster so available. And Zoe was eager to try it. So...we went to Old Lunenburg, found a restaurant that overlooked the boardwalk and ordered a lobster dinner (and a back up fish and chips just in case!) On Zoe's plate was served a complete lobster with sad eyes looking up at her and she blanched! Being the ever helpful mom, I started to crack the shell and remove the meat so she could at least have a taste. But to her horror, the meat comes out of the shell still in the shape of the claw! That was it, she enjoyed the fish and chips. After a very disappointing first adventure into seafood, we walked the wharf, looked at the boats, and admired the beautifully coloured houses. It reminded me of a less gingerbread Grimsby Beach for those familiar with that area.

I wanted to go to Peggy’s Cove. I didn’t realize it would be four hours out of our way but once we got started Zoe encouraged me to continue since I don’t do much for me that I want…awwww! Love that girl! It was beautiful with the cutest little shops in rustic, old wood buildings. It was also my first experience since arriving in Nova Scotia with traffic. We were not the only tourists there!! I felt my Ontario frustrated self rising to the surface and worked hard to squelch her and be patient while finding parking and enjoy what I drove out to see. And I did!! It really is a lighthouse on a rock, but after seeing so much imagery over my lifetime, I am very glad I got to be there in person.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon. I was so excited to hear that you are following your dream. When I found out you left, I was upset I didn't get to say goodbye, then I came home to the note you sent me. Thank you for that. I am so happy you went for it. Enjoy every moment of it. You deserve it girl. By the way, you might see me in the near future. :)
    Kate Owen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate. I hope you know you are an inspiration to me. Hearing you decide to take control of your life and do what makes you happy helped plant tis seed in y head My door is always open to you! I hope to see you when you are in the area. Shannon

      Delete