Sunday, September 16, 2018

People We have Met

One of the things I was told about Nova Scotia was how friendly the people were. That they look up while walking, that they say hello as they pass, and that they enjoy chit chatting (gossiping). I was advised though, that this kindness extended only until they found out someone was from Ontario-so I should not announce where I was from.

I can tell you every single person Zoe and I have met have been wonderful. Kind, helpful, thoughtful, looking us in the eye when they talk to us-even after they found out we were from Ontario. We quickly discovered we were not alone in the grand exodus. Everyone we talked to about our move, mentioned multiple other people from across Canada they had met doing the same thing. From realtors selling property to people from Ontario and British Columbia. To the bank manager, who set up our new account, talking about the people from Alberta who were in the bank the week before. Or even better yet, the bank teller originally from Ajax, or the Walmart cashier from Grimsby, both of whom moved for similar reasons to our own. When I asked, these "imports" if they ever regretted their decision to become Nova Sciotians, the answer was a unanimous "NO! Best decision we ever made!" Gives me hope that I am on the right path!

We visited a furniture store. We were killing time waiting for our clothes to dry at the laundromat and thought we would get some ideas for furniture. The manager of Nothin' Fancy in Yarmouth greeted us as we entered her store.  Heather started talking to us asking about how we were, who we were, and what kind of furniture we were looking for. After being vague and evasive for the first few questions, Zoe and I finally apologized, explained we were not in the market for anything right now we were just browsing - "after all we were homeless." We laughed and explained our situation that we were camping and cottaging while looking for a new house in the area. She in turned laughed and told up to go upstairs where there were full bedroom setups on display and pick a room we would like to stay in! When we came downstairs she had been telling her staff about us. One staff member mentioned he was going away on vacation in a week and we could stay at his house while he was gone! Another gentleman in the store asked if we knew anyone in town. I asked his name. He introduced himself to me as Al. I said "Hi Al, now I know someone." As is natural for talkative people, he started to ask us our story and if my husband would be joining us?
I replied "No husband".
He asked"Boyfriend?".
"No."
"Want one?"
Laughter all around.
I do look forward to returning to Yarmouth's Nothin' Fancy when we have our home and purchasing some furniture from this lovely staff who made us laugh, and feel great about ourselves and our choice to be here.

Another favourite was Lori on our Petit Passage Whale Watching tour. She was very excited to hear of our recent interest in a house in Barton. Especially when she found out Zoe was 17 and going to be attending the same school as her 17 year old son!

So, moral of the story, don't believe everything people tell you - Nova Scotians are very friendly - even when they find out you are originally from Ontario!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are meeting friendly people. You will need that as you start a new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has continued to be so nice. When we returned to the furniture store, six weeks later, they remembered us! Nice feeling! I think it will be very easy to make friends when we put ourselves out there.

      Delete