Sunday, January 12, 2020

Christmas Gifts

I know this topic seems old now, but I did not have a chance to mention the amazing gift exchange that took place between my parents and I.

I was spoiled, as usual, by my amazing parents, but two gifts that really stick out are a new Swiss army type knife. My last one was confiscated at an airport when I forgot to remove it from my purse, and I have felt its loss ever since. This new fandangle one even has a tick remover (which unfortunately I will probably get a lot of use out of). When I left Beamsville, I spent some time talking to Laura and Martin Van Den Hurk at Naked Acres Farmstead and one of their pieces of advise was a farmer always needed to have a knife in her pocket!
Mom also spend hours copying and creating a book with all my 2018 blog entries. It is beautiful and so wonderful to be able to glance through it and see the pictures, and read how we were feeling at different times. It is on display on the mantle in our living room and I love being able to pick it up and remember things we have accomplished.

I struggle with the gift giving concept at Christmas. As many people I have talked to agree, the holiday has become so commercial and gifts often resort to "stuff" rather than something meaningful. I am one of the encouragers of the experience gift. So on this train, I gifted my parents with a day in Wolfville. Upon arrival we went to the Church Street Brewery and had an amazing lunch in a gorgeous setting. It really is a renovated church that they seat you in. The food was very good, as was the flight of beers that we sampled. From there we moved on to the Annapolis Cider Company, then to Lightfoot & Wolfville Winery with a most amazing outdoor fireplace (and because my dad insists on spoiling me - he got me a copy of Eating Wild in Eastern Canada: A Guide to Foraging the Forests, Fields, and Shorelines........  guess what they are getting for lunch in May when they return?!?! ) We ended our tour at Benjamin Bridge which makes sparkling champagne style wines. They also did not disappoint and we picked up a delicious bottle of sparkling for New Years Eve. The joy of this gift was I had not spent any time previously in Wolfville myself, so I think I got as much pleasure out of the day as my parents did!








1 comment:

  1. I really impress to see your blog and i appreciate to you for showing such a great efforts on this blog.https://retailescaper.com/store/adairs-discount-code/

    ReplyDelete