Monday, March 16, 2020

49

I turned 49 today, the real 49 not the Jack Benny 49 as Aunt Judy asked.

On this birthday I was finding a way to navigate a global pandemic, and came home to an empty house.

That is the day that some people would see.

But I have spent the past 18 months making a conscious choice to be happy. I try to see the bright side of things, to see the joy in everyday life and be a positive influence on those around me.

So on this birthday I was allowed to spend it in a place that I love being, with people I enjoy being with. I went to work. The Fundy YMCA was generous enough to stay open for this one last day before announcing their closure due to the COVID-19 virus so that I could be surrounded by friends and feel good endorphins.

I received a steady stream of messages and phone calls to remind me how much I was thought of and loved by friends and family.

I then was fortunate enough to come home to a dog who gifted me with her ideas for renovating the living room. (I guess I didn't quite move the potting soil far enough back on the shelf!)

And since I could eat whatever I wanted, I chose a selection of my favourite things and settled in for Brie, Chocolate Cupcakes and red wine!

I opened a gift my parents had sent for me. It is book compilation of all of my 2019 blog posts. On the days when I am a little down, or feel like I am not accomplishing much, I will be able to pull this book out and be so proud of how far I have come, see how much I have accomplished, hear how much I have learned, and laugh at how much fun I have had along the way.

I ended the day with a series of phone calls with my parents and my children.

So bring it on...I am ready to tackle this next year and face down 50.



No comments:

Post a Comment