Thursday, August 16, 2018

And So It Begins...

In March I started looking at real estate to ensure there were options out East that intrigued me; in April I told my family my plans and then I gave my notice at work. No going back now…I was determined to make this happen. 

This step was very conflicting. I knew it was the right choice for us but we were getting a fair amount of negative reaction. My parents of course did not want me to go. A number of people I mentioned it to looked at me like I was crazy. It came to the point where I would come home and share with Zoe the story of every person who loved the idea and was so excited for us, or called us brave, or said they were jealous just to keep us on track and excited. I needed to focus on the positive encouragement. My son Brandon, told me to ignore the negative people. If it was my dream, I had to go after it. My brother came to my rescue and reminded our parents that I am not a person to make off the cuff decisions. With something this major, he knew I would have thought it through and he knew my mind would not be changed. Slowly the most important people in my life started to come around and show not only their support but they also started looking at real estate with us!

It was not easy sailing. The three most stressful things were:

1.   My son. He didn’t want to move with me. I had to come to terms with leaving my 20 year old baby to live on his own. It was so hard, but I realized it was time the day he asked me to make him a grilled cheese. I commented how worried I was about him living alone if he couldn’t even make a grilled cheese. His answer was “I could, but why bother…you will.”  Things came together quite well on his front. He had a fantastic job that he loved-check- his step mother agreed to have him move in with her but live independently (pay rent, groceries, cook, do laundry)-check-. He got a car-check and he was starting to get excited about living independently-check.
2.   I lived in Beamsville, Ontario. Everyone knows every house sells in Beamsville…except mine apparently. Thirty days later I had had one offer fall through and no other action…I WAS STRESSED!!! But I had given notice at my job and was determined to follow this path so I had to just carry on and hope everything would work out. I had a fantastic realtor (who also happens to be my cousin – thanks Sarah Digweed at Coldwell Banker love ya!!) and I had to have faith in the process and have faith that someone else would love my house as much as I did.
3.   And finally, it was very stressful to be leaving my mom and dad. They have been my biggest support throughout my entire life and I feel so selfish leaving them. I love them very much and am going to miss them terribly. I keep reminding myself that with technology and transportation, our large world has become small enough that I can talk to them (phone) or see them (skype) everyday. They are also just a short plane ride away and I can be at their door whenever they need me (or whenever I need them as the case may be!!)
My Family Top left to bottom right:
Jen(sister-in-law), Bill(brother), Andrew(nephew), Brian(nephew), Brandon(son), Zoe(daughter)
Laura(niece), Sandy(mom), Bill(dad), Shannon(me)


So as difficult as the choice has been – I have made it…Maritimes here we come!!

2 comments:

  1. While we (the McGlashan and Emmons families) will miss you horribly, we can’t wait to follow your adventures.
    Best wishes Shannon and Zoe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It was always such a pleasure on your appointment days. You always had a smiles on your faces that were contagious! Thanks for following our story.

    ReplyDelete