Sunday, August 26, 2018

First Impressions

Crossing the border into Nova Scotia, the adrenaline and excitement kicked in. I was tired from driving for 20 hours over 2 days but suddenly I felt refreshed and happy. 

I started to look for those things I had come here for. I saw trees and water. I did not see traffic. In fact I started to count cars and for the majority of the time there were no more than 6 other cars on the same visible stretch of highway at the same time! There may be a correlation between the number of cars on the road and the lack of gas stations? When my low gas light came on I was advised the closest station was a half hour drive away. I put aside my panic, waited for morning and drove out with 40 kilometres of gas to spare – phew. I believe I will be filling up every half tank from now on! 

I have seen moose crossing signs – but no live moose yet - which is maybe a good thing! I have seen 2 muskrats (maybe – I’m kind of guessing here) they were small cat sized with a flattish tail, brown fur, reminded me of a beaver. Any thoughts? A golden finch sang good morning to me. We saw crabs, clams and hermit crabs during our walk along the beach. We also saw, for my  first time ever, an eagle in its nest along the side of road. So far, I am loving the wildlife!

The weather is very different from what we left behind in Southern Ontario. It is a beautiful 21-24 degrees, no humidity. Down to a chilly 10-14 at night. Beautiful for being outside during the day and sleeping at night!

Upon arrival that first afternoon it was recommended that we walk out at low tide and see the red cliffs. While I have spent time at the ocean in Massachusetts, Florida and Myrtle Beach, I have never experienced low tides like at the Bay of Fundy! We walked out onto the mud flats (which is what remains when the water flows out at low tide) through left-behind sea life, over rocky out croppings and were amazed by the Red Cliffs. They are quite spectacular and completely unviewable at high tide! It was a wonderful first introduction to the natural beauty of our new home.

2 comments:

  1. Loved getting your letter and it was a big surprise—I will miss your melodious voice on the phone. Know your area well as I worked as, bookmobile librarian in the Valley, but not your village. Hope you never look back and just enjoy the challenges as they come. I plan to follow your blog and your new life. As they say in Australia “Good on ya girl!”
    Shirley MacKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shirley! I read your message to my dad and he suggested bookmobile librarian assistant would be a fantastic job for me! I appreciate your encouragement and love writing the blog, so I hope you enjoy it.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete