Sunday, July 14, 2019

And then there were 30...

We LOVE our chickens, and we are unable to keep up with demand for our eggs. So the logical thing to do was go out and get more chickens. After searching, we finally found a dozen brown egg layers for sale reasonably close to us (only an hours drive away!) Zoe and I went and picked them up on a rainy stormy day and brought them home. Because we had such good luck with the first two sets of hens, I didn't think anything about looking at their living conditions, or even at them as they were being dropped in our boxes and sealed in before they could escape. Unfortunately, the next morning we did have the opportunity to really see the new girls. They were so sad. Some were missing toes, two were blinded in one eye, many had been pecked and were missing feathers and there is strong evidence that they have mites. With a deep breathe, and a few tears, we decided we were now a rescue farm and would do everything we could to help these scrawny girls.

We worked to set up a hospital coop in the marketplace. Read up on getting rid of mites, made a homemade version of blu-kote, and set about doctoring. (Then we had to totally clean the old girls coop to ensure none of the mites spread to them.) After day two, the new hens are looking better, more energy, less redness to the pecked areas, they are allowing Zoe and I to pick them up and love them, and even laying a few eggs. From the research we have done, it looks like this may be a long healing process, but Two Girls Rescue Farm is up for the challenge.

If anyone has suggestions or experience in this area, we would appreciate your feedback!

On happier notes...I have enjoyed ignoring the farm and doing some just for joy gardening. I have the perennial beds weeded and pretty with mulch, and the raised beds at the back of the house are full of herbs now. The vegetable garden is finally looking like it may produce something other than weeds (no 22" cucumbers yet though Louise!)

Zoe was yelling at me last night to come quick, and when I did, I saw a mother deer and her baby in the back yard!! Of course this had to be the only time in history that neither of us had our phone in our pocket! But they were absolutely beautiful and calm and peaceful! Loved it!!!!

I remember growing up at our house in Jordan, we had a tulip tree and it was my dad's favourite. I never really understood why, until now. We have one at the side of the house and I had no idea that they have tulip flowers!! I thought they got the name simply from the shape of their leaves. I love seeing and learning about new things. It is so exciting for me to continue to see new wonderful things around the property.

Finally, for my kindergarten teacher of a mother - Zoe and I ate green eggs and ham for supper this week!

I hope you all have a wonderful week!




No comments:

Post a Comment