Sunday, July 7, 2019

We might eat in November...

I have spent four days now trying to recover the vegetable garden. I made some mistakes this year. I had the garden plowed and tilled, but never raked it off. I wanted raised beds with new soil, but didn't think I had enough time to put that together. So here we are July 7th, and I finally have 99% of the garden planted!!

Because I didn't rake off the tilled weeds they simply replanted themselves and continued growing until I could barely see my rows. Unfortunately, many of the plants I lovingly started indoors in the winter/spring were suffocated by the weeds and didn't make it. As I mentioned, it has now been four days and I have the garden to soil again. The periphery is still not done, but every time I go in to weed something else, I will tackle a section of that.

I now have green, yellow and purple beans planted. Asparagus, red onion, garlic, two varieties of beets, two varieties of carrots  four varieties of potatoes,  two varieties of peppers, three varieties of tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, two varieties of peas, lettuce, raspberries, blueberries, rhubarb, strawberries, and many herbs. As it is now July 7th already, hopefully we will have something to harvest by November!!

In addition to this, we have loads of blackberries growing around the property, apples, pears, crabapple, quince and I believe I have found a patch of wild blueberries!

The goal was to significantly reduce our grocery bill and feed ourselves. Time will tell if I am too late planting, or if we will still get any quantity of fruit and vegetables.

I feel very sore, but satisfied at a job done!

No comments:

Post a Comment