Sunday, November 24, 2019

Whirlwind

The Two Girls and a Dream Farm is going to undergo a change in the new year. It will become, temporarily, The One Girl and Her Dream Farm. Zoe has decided to return to Ontario to complete her high school diploma. It is a decision, that while I am very sad, I understand. I will support any decision she makes that will bring her closer to graduating high school.

Step one in this process was delivering her car to her dad and brothers house before too much snow accumulated on the roads. I was able to get three days off of work and Wednesday morning we left home. Twenty-three hours later, we pulled into my parents driveway. While still not an easy drive, it was much better having two drivers that could take turns. Zoe has had her licence for less than a month, but I was very impressed by how she handled herself during that long drive. By fluke timing, she was behind the wheel during the worst of the rain, through Quebec, Montreal, and the tail end of Toronto! Talk about trial by fire!

After a short nap, I enjoyed a lovely afternoon with my parents. Simply relaxing and talking and enjoying the face to face time. That evening we unofficially celebrated Christmas with Aunt Judy, Aunt Pat, Uncle Tom, my parents and Brandon (thanks for bringing the Chinese food Brandon! I had been craving it!!). This will be only the second Christmas in 48 years that I will not be home with family. I will not be alone during the holidays though. Mom, Dad, and Zoe will all be here for two weeks surrounding Christmas, then they will all go back to Ontario together leaving me here...alone...by myself...one girl. (cue pity-seriously hear the laughter in my words!). I have always enjoyed time alone. There is so much work to do year round on the property to keep me busy, and, by choice, I am working at the YMCA more and more lately. I also have developed terrific friendships and will, by no stretch of the imagination, be lonely!

Friday I had planned to surprise my friend and previous co-worker Sandi and take her out for lunch. I have never liked surprises, and this was a prime example of why. Sandi was not at work!! She was across the border doing her annual pre-Black Friday shopping trip! I did, however, surprise Laura and Dr. Hennig and enjoyed a lovely if short visit with both of them.

Wrapping up the whirlwind, Brandon drove me to the airport. We had lunch together (he benefitted from Sandi's absence), and we were able to spend some much enjoyed one on one time.
And just like that, 67 hours after I left, I was back home.

Chicken note: when I arrived home, I did not unload the truck, I did not go pee, I did not go inside, I went straight to the chicken coop. When I went in, their food trough was full (they had not been eating) and four of our girls were sitting on the floor. In the past this has meant the chicken was sick and she would die within a few days. I was very sad but walked around the coop petting everyone, cooing to them, being a ridiculous chicken mom, and just like that, one by one, they all got up walked over to the trough and started eating and clucking. When they finished, they all flew up to the roosts and settled in for the night. As crazy as it seems, I think my girls missed me as much as I missed them💗


No comments:

Post a Comment