Monday, November 4, 2019

Progress

This past week we saw a lot of progress in many areas.

After many calls to different people and companies, I have finally heard back from someone who will remove the limb that fell on our power lines during the hurricane! So eight weeks after the fact, we should be a little more comfortable in the fact that the power line won't snap, and that the potential for imminent fire will be removed. Tuesday he should be here and that is one more thing off my plate.

We also had a gentleman at the house looking at the barn roof. The back of the barn was in very bad shape when we moved in and we lost some metal roofing panels on the front side of the roof during the hurricane. I had hoped to have it repaired/replaced before winter, and I was gratefully told that this was possible! He will be starting later this week and fingers crossed he doesn't run into too many issues and it can be completed this month.

For those of you who are my facebook friends, you will know that Zoe took her drivers test this past week and passed! That puts her ahead of her momma who failed her first time out! I am so proud of her and wish her safe driving.

I did the last of my harvesting yesterday. The potatoes came up. I had tried so many times to grow potatoes in Ontario with absolutely no success. The most action I ever got out of the potatoes was being swarmed with the bees who had made their home in the straw I planted in! I was shocked, amazed, thrilled and soooo happy when I dug up bucket after bucket of potatoes. I filled the sink and started on the bathtub with Ratte French Fingerling, Red Chieftan, and Classic Russet. I had a lovely meal with some of the teeny tiny ones and they are so delicious. I am beyond happy at this successful crop!

We had a fantastic day Saturday enjoying an auction. I was thinking of how much I would have loved for you to be there with me Aunt Judy! We bought lots of fun stuff, from planters and tools, to a wok and pizza stone. Our best purchase however was a small kitchen table with four chairs. The table has flip up sides so we can even eat sitting down with company in the winter (when we close off our very cold dining room). Up until now we had been using a very tiny two seater outdoor bistro set. As we were leaving the auction house the auctioneer approached us and told us what a great deal we got on a Duncan Phyfe table. I am not at all knowledgable on furniture so I said thanks and went home to research. This is a lovely specimen with the tell tale brass claw feet from the 1840's.

Finally (gotta have a chicken update), the ummm girls? are doing great except that one of them crowed yesterday!?! We had a feeling that one of the young ones we got in August may have been a male. The scary part is it is not the one we thought was a rooster that was crowing yesterday. Which means, we may have more than one rooster in our coop. I wasn't ready for a rooster yet, but since he's here we will go with flow, do some more research and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment