Sunday, April 19, 2020

Odds and Ends

This blog is just catching us up on a few odds and ends that have cropped up over the past few weeks.

Usually it is the family dog that digs holes throughout the yard. Here it is my sweet darling chickens! I am finding these little pits all over the place wherever my chickens think would be a good place for a dirt bath! Although they are less organized and a lot bigger, the pits do remind me of being in Africa and digging small depressions wherever we were to play Mancala with stones.

Dixie decided to have a little play time with two deer and took off for 15 minutes to romp through the forest. She returned scraped, scratched but not quite bleeding, totally happy and oblivious to the stress she had caused me!

A few weeks ago I hurt my back so I had to reduce my outdoor work hours for a while. So I increased my reading hours. I started on the top left of my bookshelf. I am now on the the fourth book and am pretty sure I have not read it before. The first three books, I realized around chapter 4 that the story seemed really familiar, but because I could not remember how they ended, I finished reading them for the second time. I was pretty confident that I had given away all the books I had read before we moved but.....?

I was able to do a maple sap boil. This years is absolutely delicious, no after taste of sycamore lol!! However, I barely ended up with any. For whatever reason, I do not know, I did not get much sap this year and ended up with only about 250 ml of syrup. But I will enjoy every last drop of it.

I was not going to start any seedlings inside this year. I did not find the transplanting went well last year. But....I was bored one day so I did plant broccoli, cauliflower, squash, peppers, cucumber, and tomatoes.

The garage has been a bone of contention with me. I have a very hard time returning tools to their proper place so it is always messy and I can never find what I need. I spent a few days cleaning and organizing and am very proud to say, two weeks later, tools are where they are supposed to be and I can still walk through the garage without tripping.

Taking advantage of this newly cleaned garage and being able to find my tools, I finally built myself a sawbuck. I have wanted one for a year, and since it only took about half an hour to put together, I am really frustrated with myself that I didn't do it sooner. However, I have now and I can cut firewood at a  comfortable height without straining my back!

I am loving walking around and seeing the sprouts and colours and growth that are starting as spring moves in.








No comments:

Post a Comment