Sunday, April 26, 2020

The Ditch

In this time off of work I thought it would be a good time to concentrate my efforts on the ditch.

To the east of the driveway is over 100feet of ditch. It is about 6 feet deep and has a row of aging spruce trees lining the property above it. Over the past two years, a tree has fallen across the road and the branches were left in this ditch, trimming of the spruce trees has happened with those branches being left in the ditch, I could not mow or trim last year due to all the debris therefore the long grasses are extreme, and since I have not had access to the ditch, there was 18 months worth of garbage in there as well.

It took me 4 weeks of working at least two hours most days, and I have finally finished. The added bonus was some hidden firewood I was able to pull out!

In addition to cleaning up the ditch, I also cleared about a 10 foot wide path past the spruce trees trying to isolate and encourage the next wave of border trees (as I mentioned the spruce are aging and don't have many years left in them).

Unfortunately we are in a burn ban now for at least the next 3 weeks and I accumulated a massive pile of brush doing this clean up. I have been researching the pros and cons of investing in a chipper thus reducing the amount of burning I do and perhaps being able to use the chips in the chicken coop.



No comments:

Post a Comment