Sunday, May 10, 2020

Happy Mother's Day

I want to wish all the mothers and those who take a mothering role a Happy Mother's Day. This was another holiday experienced under the duress of social distancing and thus, while voices could be heard, it may still have been a lonely day for many people.

My extended family has been one to gather for every holiday. We talk loud and eat a lot. In making the choice to move here I knew this would change but this was now my third holiday celebration alone since Zoe has chosen to return to Ontario. My birthday, Easter and now Mother's Day.  So the novelty of spending them alone is starting to wear off.  If you look back through my posts you will see that food often has a prominent voice in my life. Today was no different. You will also notice my repeating joy in being able to provide some of the food on the table. Tonight I had a sausage patty and while I did not "grow" this meat, one of Zoe's summer co-workers did. So it was farm fresh, free range, local, delicious pork with one of my farm fresh, free range eggs in it. I had fries still remaining from my potatoes last year, a lovely green salad dressed with a blackberry vinaigrette made from my blackberry jam, and a rhubarb (fresh from the garden) and blackberry (frozen from last year) crisp for dessert. Add a glass of wine and it was a delicious meal. I definitely missed the loud family surrounding me and I REALLY missed having someone else around to do the dishes after! (As both Sandy and my dad can attest to...that is my least favourite job.) But I ate well and survived thanks to talking to my mom, my children, and receiving lovely messages throughout the day from friends.


I have one hen sitting on eggs and today was supposed to be hatch day which I thought was perfect to have a hatch on Mother's Day. Unfortunately nothing has stuck its cute little beak out of a shell yet, but I have heard little peeping!! I am so excited, hopefully tomorrow we will have little babies on the farm and then I will be  chicken grandmađź’–


No comments:

Post a Comment