Sunday, July 19, 2020

Garden Again

I have been both excited and worried about the vegetable garden this year. I spent a lot of time building the fence to help protect my food, I spent a lot of time growing seedlings inside to get a jump start on the season, I spend a lot of time watering, weeding and watching, but still I was not seeing the vegetables of my labour. It is more than halfway through July and I was afraid I would run out of time before things were ready to harvest.

But this weekend, I finally started to notice growth! Everything looks so lush and full and finally I see some hope. Tomatoes have flowers (still no tomatoes but it's a start). I have squash forming, I will be able to eat some peas this week, the beans have flowered and are starting to develop, the sunflowers are starting to develop heads, I have been eating the lettuce, strawberries and raspberries already. While I am battling a beetle, the potatoes still look good. The second planting of cucumber and cantaloupe (the seedlings did not transplant well) also look promising. I have also been super excited to see lots of apples in the trees. I do not spray at all, so while they are not pretty, they make great applesauce, great chicken treats, and this year I thought I might try my hand at apple cider!

I am smiling but am still praying for a very long summer and a very late winter to allow everything a chance to ripen.







No comments:

Post a Comment