Sunday, July 26, 2020

Chicken Run

When I am contemplating a job I have never done before, I think, and think, and plan and measure and hesitate and then I finally pick up my tools, find some confidence and tackle the project.

Way back in May when the new chicks joined our farm I knew I wanted to create a safe outdoor space for them. The coop they are in has a covered porch at the door. I finally finished it today using bits and pieces from around the yard. I had wood left over from the barn, screening left over from the garden, a window that I framed to create a short door, and thanks to Diane and Joan, some framed screen to build walls with.


I had to entice the chickens outside using watermelon, but once out, they seemed to enjoy their new space. They were a little unsure of the "huge" chickens on the other side of the wire one of whom was our momma hen Sophia. I can't say for sure, but I think she was happy to see her babies again.



I also had my first harvest today. I now have my first batch of beans, peas and blueberries in the freezer. I also enjoyed an amazing bowl of fresh beans with my supper. I'll say it again...there is definite pride in being able to grow your own food!

No comments:

Post a Comment