Sunday, January 9, 2022

Gratitude in 2021

Last week I complained and explained all the crappy, overwhelming things that had me simply surviving instead of thriving last year.

This week, let’s recount the good that happened in 2021 that I am grateful for.

I loved the experience of hatching with the incubator. I hatched chickens 4 times and twice I hatched ducks. Hatch day is so exciting watching these little gaffers break out of their shell. If you have never cuddled a day old chick, it needs to go on your bucket list. The world rights itself in those moments. 




Willow had her second littler of bunnies and baby bunnies are sooo adorable! 





We got pigs❤️ be still my heart. I never thought I could love a pig, but now I have the joy of loving three. 






We hatched our first duck and she is the sweetest, loudest thing. She had no friends for the first few weeks of her life so we are her family. She will still come up into our arms and cuddle and hug and nuzzle our necks. Amazing love and trust.




We welcomed three new cats into our home and barn. Dexter and Nacho (who we since lost to the road) were adopted through the friends of feral society and were brought in as barn cats and Callie is our newest polydactyl kitten. She "loves me to death" as she sleeps every night wrapped so tight around my neck I can’t breathe at times! 




My heart has burst wide open again as two new puppies call our farm home. I am hoping to train them to be working dogs. We got a maremma sheepdog, Tillie, who will be trained to be a livestock guardian dog and protect all my babies from those nasty foxes, raccoons and other predators. And Scout the Bernese who I am hoping will be my shadow and work with me around the property possibly even pulling a cart if I am able to train him. 



I have wonderful friends who take time out of their busy schedules to eat, drink, tour and talk with me. I have explored more restaurants and local events and have gotten to know the community better this year.

And of course COVID restrictions relaxed enough in the fall for visitsđź’• Cheryl kicked it off by stopping in for tea one evening as she was passing through. Next came Brandon. I had not been able to see my son in person for 22 months when he came for a week. It was so wonderful! We cooked and talked and went to some local sights including Brier Island which I had never done before and loved it! I have since been able to see Brandon in Ontario twice, once briefly in October and once over Christmas. I have been a very happy mommy to be able to spend this time with him. Then came my brother, sister in law, niece and their king shepherd Argo whose visit coincided with my parents September arrival. 


Some people may disagree with this, but also in the joyful column this year I am putting "turning 50". What a milestone to have reached and (much to my 10 year old selfs surprise) realize I still have so much more to live and learn. 

When I look at this list I see, that although I did emotionally struggle in 2021, there were some absolutely wonderful moments and additions as well. 

Next week: the plans…..

No comments:

Post a Comment