Monday, February 28, 2022

Incubator Season Begins

 I love this time of year!! The incubator came out of storage, got a good cleaning and is set up in our spare bedroom.

After all our losses last year we moved into 2022 with 2 ducks. A male (Lucky) and a female (our first hatchling Little Duck). Little Duck started to lay eggs just over a month ago and I collected one last week and popped it in the incubator. On examination today, it looks like it is developing!!! I am so excited and hopeful. Tomorrow we will add a dozen or so chicken eggs. Duck eggs take 28 days to hatch and chicken only take 21. So this staggered start ensures the hatch date is the same and our single duck (I know-don’t count your eggs before they hatch…but I belong to the camp that says-believe it into existence) will have little friends to grow up with.

I finally stopped waiting for good weather and just went ahead and had a much enjoyed bon fire today. It was so lovely and needed. Dad and I had cleaned out the garage and barn and had accumulated a lot of boxes and scraps that needed to be burned not to mention the brush pile that had gotten very large and was encircling the fire pit again. It didn’t reach the heat or size of other bonfires, but it was a good start to the season.

And for good measure: some animal pictures💖





No comments:

Post a Comment