Saturday, October 20, 2018

Frustrations

GoogleI was known at Dr. Hennig's office as the "Google Queen" by my co-workers for my readiness to look up anything and find answers. The internet does not seem to be as big of an advertising tool here. When I need something, I am having much better success asking people than looking it up. For example: there are no chimney cleaners in the Digby area listed online. But I was able to get one name from my electrician and another name from the owner of the local Kwik-Way store. The young man at the dump gave me directions to the local metal recycler, the gentlemen at the power equipment store gave me some suggestions on finding archery or target shooting ranges, the auto mechanic gave me the number for drivers training and dog rescue organizations for Zoe. All of which I had previously Googled and came up with zero results!

Health professionals are just as difficult. We asked for recommendations before we left Beamsville but the recommendations we received were in Halifax (2 1/2 hours away) or Yarmouth (1 hour away). There are no chiropractors or orthodontists listed in the local google pages, or in the local papers for that matter, so we are going to be driving around looking for signs and cold calling doctors!! I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

We have already had some storm experience. Since we took possession of our home on September 7th we have had the remnants of two hurricanes blow through. Hurricane season is one of the reasons Zoe and I decided Annapolis Valley was a better area for us. We are more protected on St. Mary's Bay than we would have been on the Atlantic Coast. We had driving rains (which unfortunately led to my discovery of two leaks in the garage and one in the basement) with enough rain to raise the levels in our wells and enough rain to make we wonder why older homes have no eavestroughing??  Let's just say mine has some strategically placed eavestroughing now! When my dad was here we talked about jobs like that. The ones that were unplanned but pop up and can not be ignored, but delay the jobs I have on my to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment