Thursday, October 4, 2018

Learning and Loving

Our first few weeks have been filled with learning moments, with laughing moments, and with we made the right choice moments.

I discussed in a previous post the ease of dealing with the internet provider to set up a new account. Well, unfortunately, the internet was not on by move day as promised. In the afternoon I made a phone call, a very pleasant tech person walked me through some troubleshooting but in the end suggested a service truck come to our house the next day. While disappointed I was at least happy that the problem would be resolved. About an hour later "Mike" called saying he was with Bell Aliant and had finished a service call in my area early, did I mind if he stopped by to resolve my internet issues now!?! Was he kidding, I said YES, hung up and got that super good Nova Scotia is awesome feeling! Mike came by, got us set up and told us to call him "directly" if we had any further issues!

Learning moment...we had been here 3 nights and had a scheduled 12 hour power outage while work was being done on the highway. No problem, we got out candles and used the barbecue, and wanted to read through some paperwork that we had found in the garage attic. (It was really interesting paperwork on the family that has lived previously in this house for three generations. We were hoping to find house history but in fact only found personal history.) Our learning moment came when Zoe decided she would have a shower. We are on a well system. Any flags going off? Not for me...what did I know? After Zoe drained the water tank and had to rinse off her soapy hair using our bottled water, I started to get concerned, but nothing I could do with the power still out. At 4:00am the next morning I was woken up to all the clunks and bangs and whirs of the power coming back on. I was happy but...what about the water. I got out of bed and opened a tap...NO WATER! Up to my computer I went and you tubed for 15 minutes until I understood priming the well pump and what we had done to the pump pressure by using it with no electricity! Like I said lesson learned, water back working and no more Zoe showers during a power failure!

People continue to be a source of joy for me. We did return to Nothin' Fancy in Yarmouth as I said I would when we needed furniture. When Zoe and I walked in, a staff member greeted us and directed us to the mattresses when we asked. He finished with his customer then joined us welcoming us back, asking where we found the house, how my son was, and if we had any animals yet on our property. He had remembered almost everything we talked about over two months ago!

There is both plumbing and electrical work that I need to hire out to a local professional. I had someone in whose company does both electrical and plumbing to give me some quotes. When I had finished going over the list of my wants and needs, he continued to walk around the property and point things out to me, explain how things worked and what I would need. Like under coating my truck, and not running if any bears should approach me out of the woods at the back of our property. He then gave me his business card and suggested I call his office and talk to his secretary (who also happened to be our realtors mom!) and ask her for names and numbers of any tradespeople I may need. She could find me good, honest, local people. The mechanic who performed the Nova Scotian safety check on my truck said the same thing, to call him or his wife if we need any names of people to do work for us. He also is trying to find a good rescue dog for us!! People are so warm and inviting and generous. I really can no longer understand why I was told so often that I would not be accepted being from Ontario. I have met only kind, generous, super friendly people who have gone well out of their way for Zoe and I.

1 comment:

  1. I don,t know how we coped before we could google the answer to everything.

    ReplyDelete