Sunday, December 2, 2018

Saturday

We had a terrific day on Saturday. Zoe and I ventured out to the neighbouring community for a Christmas craft show. We have always enjoyed the Thanksgiving sale in Vineland and were excited to hear about this one so close to us.

The craft show was held in Annapolis Royal between three locations (that we could find). I had heard there was a fourth location but we couldn't find it so....we started with the indoor farmers market. This does run every Saturday and is a smaller version of the summer market. It was lovely. We have a neighbour with a farm market at their house which we have not been to yet (bad Zoe and Shannon) but they were at the market so we got a peak at what they offered and we will be going to their market! Lovely vegetables, home canned goods, honey, everything looked so good. We also got to purchase our first fresh fish direct from the fisherman. More on that later.

Second we moved to the firehall where there were many many tables displaying crafts from knitting and sewing to soaps and candles to baked goods. We found many unique items that we purchased and  some items that gave us ideas for our own marketplace when we get it up and running. It has been an ongoing struggle for me to decide what calls to me when it comes to art. So when I find a piece that does, I try to afford it!! Luckily for me there was a woman with some beautiful pieces that I loved that were reasonably priced! I now have my third piece of Nova Scotian art for my new Nova Scotian home! (When my parents were here they bought us two Maud Lewis pieces-Maud lived about ten minutes down the road from my house during her married life.)

Our third stop was an elementary school. This seemed to have more professional artists. There is a community between Digby and Annapolis Royal called Bear River which is known for its artisans. I think many of them were displaying their art at the school. I was very happy to find a local farmer here who harvests his seeds. I was able to get a jump start on my garden with seeds that are proven to grow in this climate and this soil! But our favourite, yet to be tested purchase, was tooth soap! I had never heard of it before, but it is a soap that is a substitute for your toothpaste. It is all natural and has "proven effects for the positive health of your teeth and gums". We'll see!

 Then to wrap up the evening, Zoe cooked our fresh fish for us for supper. Not only is Zoe an excellent chef, she does such a beautiful presentation including some fresh herbs from our window sill herb garden! She can cook for us any time-please!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year !!! We wish you all the best in 2019 !! It looks like you are enjoying the life of peace and slower lifestyle !! Sure wish Ontario was like nova Scotia !! Miss seeing you and my husband john I and in laws send you best wishes for your future endeavors. Dianne mertens. PS sent you another message but I don't think I did it right ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dianne! Thank you so much. We are loving the peace we have found here! I apologize, the messaging system with this blog host is not easy. I did not receive any other messages from you. Please give my best to John and your inlays and have a fantastic 2019!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete