Thursday, November 29, 2018

The New Normal

It has been wonderful having Zoe back here with me. We have quickly settled into a new routine. We are enjoying sleeping in, doing some work before lunch, putting in a few hours of work after lunch, perhaps a nap or some homework or computer work, then supper, a fire and a Netflix movie! I love it!!

Zoe got to take her new vehicle for a spin on Monday (the Cub Cadet tractor I purchased while she was away) and loved the fact that it was reliable and did not break down!! We have brought in more firewood, had a lovely big bonfire and cleaned up an area beside the barn. We used landscape fabric to covered the area I have designated for my vegetable garden to make the spring rototilling easier, and we started some woodworking projects.

One of my biggest concerns has been the stove chimney. I have not been able to get anyone in to clean it yet. Between being too far out of region for some chimney sweeps, one not returning my calls and a final one promising to call to set up a date....? I am very aware of every fire I burn, keeping them small and constantly being aware in case of a chimney fire.  So...two weeks ago we had an intense rain and wind storm. A car slowed down in front of my house, then another, then a line up slowly began forming. In a panic that they had seen something pertaining to my chimney, I threw on a coat and boots and ran out front. Apparently it had nothing to do with my chimney (phew!) but rather the wind had caused one of the trees at the front of my property to fall across the road. I was very impressed that within one hour from the first car stopping the police arrived to direct traffic, the tree company arrived and cut up and moved the tree and the power company arrived to ensure the power line had not been damaged!

This has, however,  added another job to our to do list as the tree company cut up but left most of the tree in the ditch. Zoe and I spent a day hauling it out of the ditch, cutting it up storing all the manageable pieces. There are still hhuuggee pieces of the trunk in the ditch that I will need more muscle to clean up...hello my brother is coming for a visit next weekend. Fingers crossed the weather cooperates for this next visitor who is willing to work!

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with your writing and your ability to create new and interesting topics.

    ReplyDelete