Sunday, November 4, 2018

Food

I was reminded that I had not talked much about the food since moving here. I have never been one to eat out at restaurants much in the past, but Zoe and I have enjoyed it more often here. It was a goal to introduce Zoe to seafood since it is so readily available and fresh. For those of you who remember in a previous post we discussed that Zoe, in fact, does not like seafood and will no longer even try it. It may have had something to do with beady lobster eyes looking at her, followed by a fried seafood platter that, even in my opinion, was not good.

She has enjoyed fish and chips on many occasions and has stretched out of her normal comfort zone to try different dishes as well.

Lets start with the best scallops I have ever had. Digby is famous for its fresh caught scallops and I took advantage of that at the Shoreline Restaurant. They served the best maple, whiskey, barbecue, bacon wrapped scallops I could ever hope to taste. They were served with fried chips and just enough extra maple, whiskey, barbecue sauce to dip those chips in! This was one of the places I took my parents to when they visited partly because I wanted them to taste the exquisite scallops, but also because I wanted them again!! It was at this restaurant that Zoe moved away from her normal chicken fingers or fish and chips and ordered a pineapple curry. It was also a really good choice. Unfortunately this restaurant is one of the seasonal ones and has closed for the winter.

My son Brandon works for China Dynasty in Beamsville and he used to bring home delicious food for the three of us. We had been living here almost two months and we had not had any Chinese food and we were craving it. We had seen Wok By the Bay on Water Street in downtown Digby so thought to give it a try. They have a nice selection of Chinese food but also a wide variety of seafood and Canadian food to satisfy all family members. We stuck with the Chinese side of the menu and really enjoyed the food we ordered. I was also incredibly grateful to the staff. When I got home and realized I had left my phone there, they offered to stay late so I could return that evening and retrieve it. Thank you, thank you, thank you. A second restaurant we will definitely be revisiting.


Our third favourite place is Kalen's Takeout. It is a food truck parked on Highway 303 as you drive through town. They take cash only, have a huge menu (including deep fried oreos which we have not tried...yet) and delicious fish and chips. I am not a food truck person, but after driving past it so often and Zoe continuously asking to try it, I am so glad we finally stopped. We will need to take Brandon there on his next visit for the foot long hot dog!





Eating out has meant we have had to change the way our day proceeds. We have been a family that for one reason or another, typically does not stop for supper until after 7pm. In Digby, actually from our summer experience as well, through much of Nova Scotia, many restaurants close at 7pm. It has felt strange to be like normal people and go out to eat between 5-5:30pm! I know I have a few Nova Scotian's reading my blog-any recommendations from the locals on restaurants to try?



6 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon. I have some time off coming to me in a few weeks. Can you put me to work? I would love a working holiday.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email me. bayberry_01@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three are usually cheap Ralph Lauren available for sale each and every time you wish to buy. kosmos

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! inca kola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! 먹튀보증금

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also piatti tipici toscani di carne

    ReplyDelete