Thursday, November 22, 2018

Full House

After being home alone for a month, I picked up both Zoe and our friend Kate Owen from the airport.  I had taken Zoe back to Ontario in October and then returned to spend 28 days alone. I was able to accomplish a lot and visit with new friends, but I missed my people and was so excited to have someone in the house with me again!

Two weeks ago I got a message from a friend Kate asking to visit for a work-cation. It worked out perfectly that her vacation time coincided with Zoe's return so Zoe had someone to accompany her on the flight. That turned out to be very lucky indeed as it was only Zoe's second time ever on an airplane and the flight was delayed for an hour. Then after finally boarding the airplane, a passenger had a medical emergency which delayed their flight another hour.  I can only imagine how stressful this would have been if Zoe didn't have calming company. So thank you very much Kate! To top their eventful arrival off, we were in the middle of an unseasonal snow storm. A drive that should typically only take two and half hours took us four hours to get back to the house. We finally walked through the door at 3:30am! Some welcome!

From there it has been two days of work. We had hoped to get some outside work done, but no such luck thanks to the unexpected snow. So we have focused on the office and have made fantastic progress clearing the floor to reveal thick plank floors and stripping the door and trim to reveal beautiful original wood.

I have this fantastic helper for one more day and we hope to finish the woodwork and maybe even get to painting! We have laughed about this vacation where I shepherded Kate into our home under the cover of night and have not let her leave to see daylight or anything that Nova Scotia has to offer!! I did make sure she enjoyed some Nova Scotian wine and homemade crabapple liquor and I have promised to take her out tomorrow night for dinner at our favourite restaurant in Annapolis Royal, Bistro East.

It has been a wonderful few days getting to know Kate better, having wonderful company and a willing third helper! I can't thank you enough Kate for being there for both me and Zoe! Please come back another time so we can show you some of the local sites!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Shannon for those wonderful words and your awesome Nova Scotian hospitality. You and Zoe are an inspiration to me and I know you will accomplish everything you set out to do on your new found journey. I am already planning my next work-cation and hopefully it will be in warmer weather and we can dig in the garden in the sunshine. Till next time. Kate

    ReplyDelete