Thursday, November 1, 2018

November Already!

Frustrating day today. The lawn tractor has broken down for the third time now! I think I need to bite the bullet and get a new one. I'll be heading in tomorrow morning to Gates Power Equipment and starting a conversation with them!

Before that, this had been a good week. The social life has continued with morning coffee visits. I have been invited to homes and Tim Horton's to join people as they start their day. I was invited to a musical evening at a local church. It was not exactly my thing, but I am still glad I went and had a nice evening with some neighbours.  I also ventured into Annapolis Royal on my own one evening to watch a movie at King's Theatre. It is a small theatre that hosts movies, plays, live music, and other performances. I quite enjoyed it and am hoping to attend some other events in the coming months.

With Zoe still in Ontario, I am appreciating the company of my neighbours. I am also recognizing the need to be a part of the community because there will be a time when Zoe moves on and I will be alone. While I enjoy my own company, and I love peace and quiet, everyone needs their people!

Halloween is always an interesting night the first year at a new home. I was not sure what to expect. I had a pretty good idea I would get no one, after all I do live on a highway. But I felt I should be prepared and have some chocolate for any neighbours that may have children or grandchildren. Or at least that's what I told myself when I bought the chocolate that I now "have" to eat!!

I have also been making slow progress outside this week. I have mowed 2/3's of the lawn (before the tractor quit on me again) and gathered some leaves. I have make good progress on gathering firewood from my forest. This is another job that will never end-for as long as I am here-I will be gathering fire wood!! But the trade off is I get to enjoy beautiful fires in my stove every evening.

While I was out in the forest yesterday, I found another Maple tree which I have marked. I have found five now, and am very excited to try tapping them and making maple syrup. Kind of scary to think its November already, tapping the Maples will be here before I know it!


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are on your wY to becoming a community member. You are fulfilling the goals that you set for yourself.

    ReplyDelete