Sunday, February 23, 2020

Food

I was talking food to one of my coworkers and she said "You should write a blog on that!"

So...this one's for you Nadine!

I have traditionally spent Thursday evening looking up recipes, meal planning for the upcoming week and grocery shopping from that list. This past week, I decided to let my freezer and cupboards dictate what I ate.

I was pleasantly surprised when I started to look around, how much I still had left that I had grown.

This week I enjoyed potato pancakes with my potatoes, hamburgers with my garlic, onions, thyme, oregano and topped with my relish, smoothies with my blackberries and blueberries, toast with my jam, I also made a salad dressing with my jam, my squash with stuffing, I used my garlic and tomatoes in a soup, I used my peppers and eggs in an omelette, I ate pickles and pickled beets, I drank my blackberry liquor (Ok so that wasn't in the meal planning!), and had my maple sugar on top of ice cream.

I need to change my thought process and enjoy everything I have harvested from this beautiful land. I have this "save it" mentality. I didn't want to run out of the food I have made or grown or collected. But as maple syrup season is right around the corner I realize the food production year is starting again. I am pulling out my journals to remind myself what went right and what I needed to do differently this year and am so excited to get started.

I need suggestions now. I have so many potatoes left that I will not be able to eat them all before they go bad. What can I do to preserve them? I know freezing them changes their texture, but I think if I cook them I can freeze them mashed. I will also try to save some as seed potatoes. Any other thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. If you're not afraid to pressure can, then that's a good way to preserve your potatoes. Tracey, from the You Tube channel Nova Scotia Living has a couple of videos. She makes it look easy. Easy enough that I started pressure canning.

    ReplyDelete