Sunday, February 9, 2020

Weekend!!

I feel like it has been so long since I have had a weekend off that this felt special!

It started with a "fill your bathtub evening". No, I was not pampering myself, I have come to learn this is code for  - the weather looks nasty and we might lose power, so fill your bathtub with water just in case! This whole thought process had meant nothing to me a year and a half ago. We may have had no hot water if there was no electricity, but we always had water. Just another thing I have had to learn about now that I have a well and a pump - no electricity = no water. We really did have a loud storm. Lots of ice and wild winds -poor Dixie absolutely hates the wind. But we were lucky enough to have only a few power flickers. However, when Dixie and I got out in the morning for our walk we found two trees that had been blown over. I still cannot figure it out. Our patio furniture stayed lovely and ready for entertaining on the deck while one hundred feet away an entire tree toppled over!!

New plan of attack for the weekend, forget pruning the apple trees, storm clean up wins out. I had finally gotten all the debris around the fire pit burned and here we go again. This time however, instead of just piling up all the branches, I immediately (ok be honest...immediately after I got a sippy cup of wine) got to burning this pile so it does not get so out of hand again.

The rest of the weekend was filled with dog runs, playing fetch and frisbee, hiking the paths around the house, falling through the ice of the "frozen" stream, working on window trim in the bedroom, cutting more firewood, and a bit of house cleaning to round out a fantastic two days off!

Chicken update: the girls are awesome! I got 15 eggs today including a new colour - olive green. They are loving this weather, even though it was very cold yesterday and today, the sun was shining and that means they are out and about. I am getting a little nervous about the roosters though. They seem to have lovely temperaments and take good care of the girls, but they are loud! While it doesn't bother me, in fact I kind of like hearing them crow, I am very nervous a neighbour may not like them as much. So far so good, I can only hope it stays that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment