Sunday, February 2, 2020

Take the Good with the Bad

This has been one of those up and down weeks.

UPS:
I have been thrilled with the girls this week. Most of them are laying now and I have gotten up to thirteen eggs a day!!

I have had a lovely weekend being spoiled by friends. Saturday night I was invited out for Brie, soup, salad, wine and lovely conversation. And tonight I was treated to spaghetti and apple pie (sorry for having a piece Bruce, but who could resist?!) and great conversation with fun, funny people!

The weather has been near spring like. So much so that the back yard is a mud pit. Not so nice for those hour long fetch sessions I have with Dixie.

DOWNS:
My heart goes out to my cousins Karen and Ken whose son passed away. My heart just breaks for them. It is one of those moments when I hate being so far away. I hope they can feel my love and know if I was there I would be hugging them.

Dixie has developed a nasty habit of chasing chickens. Twice this week while we were playing in the back she got distracted by the flapping and took chase. The first time, she got a mouthful of feathers. The chicken is fine, but was a little stressed for the rest of the day. The second time, the chicken was super smart and headed straight for the briar patch. The dog dove in after her and when I finally go a hold of Dixie she was covered in blood. My first thought was she took a bite out of the chicken, but no...her mouth was clean. I took her inside to the bathtub, hosed her down and identified that she tore her ear on a thorn and was still bleeding quite profusely from it. In the process of trying to stop the bleeding, I also noticed a thorn up her nose!!! I wish Zoe was still here to have video taped me with my arm around Dixie, my hand clamped on her ear, tweezers in the other hand, her squirming to beat the band!! In the end I got the thorn, but thirty hours later, her ear is still bleeding. In her crate it stops while she is calm and contained, but
as soon as she gets out of the crate she does that wet dog shake, the cut reopens and the house looks like a murder scene with blood splattered from floor to ceiling!


No comments:

Post a Comment