Sunday, January 13, 2019

Dixie

Day 1
On August 10, 2018 we celebrated Zoe's 17th birthday. I gave her a non gift - I gave Zoe the promise of a dog. Since we were homeless at the time, then we were tearing out carpet that smelled like previous dog, then Zoe returned to Ontario for a month, then we both went to Ontario for Christmas, the timing had never been right to bring a dog home. We had, however,  been looking in different rescue organizations and put our name on "the list" for some of these. But gradually our minds began to change and we thought more and more about having a dog we could breed. This led us to the puppy of a pure bred border collie mom (what more perfect dog is there for a farm with animals) and a dad who is a border collie / black lab cross (what better dog for a loving, loyal family member). Between the two parents I also couldn't think of a more intelligent pup.
With Teddy that Zoe sewed for her

Favourite sleeping position
Friday January 4th we drove out to the farm and picked up our "black collar female" puppy who will furthermore be known as Dixie. I have always been a cat person, but I cannot tell you how quickly this little lady has stolen my heart. Zoe was a goner from the start, spoiling, loving and playing with her. She lives up to her breeds description and is a super cuddly, loving, very smart dog who loves to chew! She sleeps through the night,  learned her first command "sit" on the first day, and has since learned four other commands. (Yes I am a super proud grandma - ugh - Zoe insists on calling me grandma!)
First day in the snow

We are absolutely thrilled to have our first "farm" animal and are so happy that we waited for this perfect addition to our family. While I am sure I will mention her,
Dixie
I promise I will not go on and on in future posts about our fantastic, adorable, brilliant, loving dog, but just know she is here and making us complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment