Thursday, January 31, 2019

Splitting Firewood

What did I learn this week? I CAN USE AN AXE!!

When my parents were here in the fall my dad took me out and we bought an axe and a wedge to split firewood. I was unsuccessful in using either of these tools. Then in December when my brother and sister in law came, I tried again - also with very limited success. My fires have been lacking in heat, intensity, and I have a hard time keeping them lit! I figured a combination of wet wood and wood that is too large were causing these difficulties. The wood is wet, not because it was from a living tree, but because it has been in the wet, snowy elements. As I have mentioned in other posts, I am constantly cutting down firewood. I did not have enough stashed at the beginning of the season and I refuse to buy any having about 20 acres of wood to forage (and I'm frugal!!).

Problem #1. Wood to wet. I have developed a pain in the butt, time consuming, yet successful process for my wood. I bring it in from outside and let it sit in the unheated, freezing garage. then I move it to the basement with the dehumidifier and furnace heat to dry out. Then I have built a rack in the living room were the wood comes up and sits for one-three days finishing the drying process. This has been working well in providing me with drier wood, even though I am lugging wood every day through this three step process.

Problem #2. Wood to big. I didn't want to spend the money buying a splitter at this point in time, and I didn't think renting one would work as I don't have all my wood ready
 to be split at this time. So I got out the axe and tried again. And it worked!! I am guessing the wood was dead and dry enough that it made the process so much easier, but regardless I was so proud of myself and feel encouraged again that if I just stick with something, I can do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment