Thursday, February 14, 2019

Coat Closet

Yes...back to the coat closet. Back in November I did some work in the coat closet but did not finish it. I did not finish on purpose because I wanted the door and floor to flow with the kitchen when we redid it. However, with the snow and wet and melt, I was afraid we were damaging the plywood flooring.

Amazing new Saw
So we started to revisit this room today. I had a lot of fun playing with a new toy my AWESOME children bought me for Christmas. It is a sliding mitre saw. I played with straight sliding cuts on the flooring and angles bevel cuts on the trim. I have always struggled with these two cuts. First my old chop saw could only handle a six inch width so I would have to cut, flip, hope the cut lined up and cut again, only to realize that the cut did not line up. And bevel cuts...I have never had two pieces of trim meet in a corner without a gap or a slice or one of the angles being slightly off. This new tool is fantastic. It is so easy and so accurate, now if something goes wrong I know it is my fault not the equipment!!

Flooring: laid and removed
We laid the floor, set up the trim, realized on one wall I needed the saws all to cut out a piece of wood so the trim could sit properly. So...take out the trim, take up the floor, cut the wood...get frustrated, stop for the night!! Story of my life. Actually, before we stopped, Zoe and I looked at the whole job and assessed what we had to do and how to do it so we did not have to repeat and undo steps again! Zoe is the "pretty" girl and I am a "get it done" girl. So I come up with a plan and she figures out how to make that plan pretty. (Thus the reason I had to take up the trim and floor to fix the groundwork!) Just another lesson in patience, and planning out the whole job before jumping in.

No comments:

Post a Comment