Sunday, April 7, 2019

Blackberries

I'm not so sure about this once a week blog. I find I have so much that I want to write about. I'll try it for a few weeks, but I may switch back to twice a week. Any preferences from you?

Our neighbour Linda sent me a link to a local auction house. They were having an auction on Saturday and I decided to check it out. Three of us loaded into the truck at 7:30am, and off we went (yes Zoe got up all on her own on a Saturday also excited to try something different!) There was so much awesome stuff-furniture, farm equipment, a car, and lots of "junk". Zoe and I have been looking for eight months now for a chest. We were able to buy one at this auction for $12.50!! I am so excited to see how we will refinish it and fit it into our decor. I had so much fun that going to auction is definitely something that I will do again.

Blackberries...there are lots of blackberries around the property. Unfortunately they have not been tended, or managed in anyway. In fact, it's hard to find many of the blackberries underneath all the rose briar that has grown over it. This week we tackled the area around our marsh/pond. With me cutting and Zoe burning we have made pretty good progress. There is still lots to do but I am pleased with the way its coming. I have been told that I am still too Ontario though. A Nova Scotian farmer would have taken the bush hog to it and levelled everything in a very timely manner and not taken weeks to individually cut each stalk so it looks pretty!! I still have a long way to go before I truly fit in. But I am loving every moment I spend outdoors working on our property.

We have been taking Dixie out with us most days when we work. She has become quite good off leash, returning when we call her if she wanders off. We did discover this week, working around the pond, that we have a true water baby! She had so much fun!!

Finally, fifteen months after getting her beginners, Zoe finally got behind the wheel of the truck and drove! She may have started a little rough (and slow) but she ended very well. I think she is going to do just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment