Sunday, June 2, 2019

The Barn

Wood, wood and more wood!! I am starting to feel like home depot has moved into our back yard! And I love it! There is something about the smell of wood that just makes me happy. (Crazy, I know!)

We have three outbuildings. The barn, the shop, and the garage. All three have been neglected for many years, and all three will be improved this year (with the help of all this wood). The barn is first. It has an entirely rotten end. We will be tearing that down and shortening the barn back to its original size. Adding a second hay loft and a livestock door. This weekend we started the demolition. And when I say "we" I mean not me as I am terrified of heights!! The metal roof has been removed from the one end, the roof has been cut and we started to remove the shingle siding. As the shingles were being removed, there was some panic up on the roof as it became evident how rotten that end was...with one hand you could push on the corner and sway the whole wall! Very scary!

Our plan is to use this rotten end section as a weather
break and frame the new wall inside the barn before we pull down this section.


I will keep the blog updated with pictures and stories as we continue this rebuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment